Sunday, July 12, 2015

Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Read from May 26 to July 12, 2015
11735983
Sypnosis:One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth's much-anticipated second book of the dystopian DIVERGENT series is another intoxicating thrill ride of a story, rich with hallmark twists, heartbreaks, romance, and powerful insights about human nature.

Pages:525
Rating:★★★☆☆

Thoughts: "Tonight I will be honest, and selfless, and brave. Divergent."

First off, I already read Divergent. So if I so happen to talk about Divergent in spoilery terms and you've yet to read it, pause here, read a different review, and/or go read the first book first! No this shouldn't be read as a stand alone IMO.

Ok. So. I held off on finishing this. Kept putting it on the backburner. All I wanted to do was watch the movie. So I followed a reading schedule and everything in order to make me focus better. Finally finished. ok so enough about why this took me so long because this was Good.

In the 2nd Divergent book, it picks up where things left off in the 1st. Tris is trying to cope with her loss, Tobias is still by her side, most factions are dealing with being split up and torn apart, and shits about to hit the fan. This book shows how our two main characters and all the lovely (futher explored in this novel Thank God) will react when shit really picks up.

Tris. Oh Tris. She is dealing with her battles of guilt and loss so much in this book I wanted to cry. Did a tear come though? No because before I could shed a tear for one character, here'd come another trying to pull on my heart strings.  SPOILER ALERT Her dealing with her suicidal ideation and wanting to die nearly triggered me and pulled at my heart strings so much. END SPOILER ALERT Her pain was my pain in this book.

Tobias. The love story imo was just not needed to be made such a big deal of. In the first novel we had few serious choices having to be made besides "Which faction do ya wanna be?". Tris and Tobias began to fall for each other and it was like joining a bootcamp. You may have a crush but you're also trying to seem strong and learn your shit.
In this book all the choices and shit people were trying to hide from each other just was Not cute and wayyy too serious to be distracted by romance. They spend most of there time in the first book trying to like each other but also being serious about their faction and here, these two teens, (or how in the hell old are they?! how in the hell old is tobias??!) have to deal with their world falling apart around them and still wanna find time to kiss each other, and make sure the other's not mad, and SPOILER ALERT still trying to give me romeo and juliet vibes?!!? END SPOILER ALERT uh no.

I loved it. There wasn't too much infodumping or worldbuilding from I can recall but it just felt uninteresting in a way that I can't describe. I just wasn't as excited to finish it as I'd hoped to be. I definitely reccommend it though, if you're reading the series. It's not one to be skipped or one to not look forward to. Alot of things go down and I couldn't imagine the characters getting from point A to C without B of course. But I backburnered it for awhile because it didn't draw me in like the previous book. I have a good feeling about Allegiant, mainly because I've already been spoiled to it's ending (never read someones blog posts/review and skip around. Never. You will WILL miss the Spoiler alert. *creys*)

The comment about Christina smelling like coconut oil and the fact that I'm pretty sure the only skintones that were pointed out were Poc's just



And it doesn't even suprise me because it's hard to find YA that doesnt do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment