Sunday, April 14, 2019

The Shining by Stephen King

The ShiningThe Shining by Stephen King

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


It's on my bucket list to make my way through all of Stephen King's books and I plan on succeeding! I've already read It and Carrie so I'm excited to be done with #3. And it was Very enjoyable!

The movie does not do the book justice. Let's start right there. I've seen the original movie and the mini series remake and I must say I understand Stephen's complaints about the original movie. I've always found the miniseries scarier  

SPOILER the woman in the bathtub scene is just NOT scary in the original movie, but the miniseries does the book So much justice because she is terrifying! END SPOILER.

 and I believe that's because of Stephen's involvement in it. I understand him saying that Kubrick's version is just "not scary" and how the movie doesn't do Wendy any justice which brings me to my next point;

-WENDY! The book version of Wendy is AMaZing! She's strong and powerful and she's a fucking Heroine!!! In the movie she does seem to be just a side character. But in this novel she kicks fucking ass.
-Jack. Jack is supposed to start off as an all right kinda guy who gets possessed by the hotel. So once again I understand Stephen's complaints that in the film he starts off already gone mad. Starting him off as he originally does in the book gives his character so much more depth. His background and why he so easily gets overtaken by the hotel being explained Makes the BOOKS!
-The Overlook. This hotel is fucking scary in this book! Everything that exists can fucking scare you and it does, even the fucking pattern on the floors carpet!
-Mr Hallorann. I fucking love him. I, like a lot of Stephen's readers, can do without all of the slurs in his books. I am understanding that they are realistic and of the times. But back to Dick. Dick was fucking amazing and is such a stronger and more important character than the movie makes him out to be.
-Danny. Let's just say I can't wait to see what Stephen does with his character in Doctor Sleep

(I know this sort of became a review of the book vs. the movie. That's because I see so many negative ratings from friends and people who I follow and a lot of them seem to be comparing the two. I think the two don't compare because the obvious winner would be and is The Novel!)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment