Friday, September 25, 2015

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Read from September 10 to 25, 2015
6334
Sypnosis:As children, Kathy, Ruth, and Tommy were students at Hailsham, an exclusive boarding school secluded in the English countryside. It was a place of mercurial cliques and mysterious rules where teachers were constantly reminding their charges of how special they were. Now, years later, Kathy is a young woman. Ruth and Tommy have reentered her life, and for the first time she is beginning to look back at their shared past and understand just what it is that makes them special--and how that gift will shape the rest of their time together
Pages:288
Rating:★★★☆☆½
 
Thoughts: Real rating: 3 1/2 stars. I feel as though 3 is too low and average and this book was slightly above that. Rating may change.

This was a page-turner for sure. From the moment I sat down in the Dr's office waiting room and began reading, I was actually mad when they called me back to my room. The author set's the story up as if you're listening to a good friend telling a really entertaining, edge-of-your-seat style story. Whenever I had to put it down it was like being interrupted in the middle of a great conversation.

Kathy is the narrator who is recalling her and her friend's mysterious (and weird but interesting to me) childhood. Each chapter and break in the story makes you want to keep going, to continue hearing about what a character meant by what was just said or how things would turn out after what just happened.

Kathy is a great character and narrator. Being inside her head sold the book for me. She was very intuitive about others feelings so you never got the feeling that the author only wanted you to care for her as a character, but instead to understand all the characters.
I loved Kathy and Tommy and ended up hating -but later understanding- Ruth.

The mystery of what's going on with Hailsham students had such a deeply and well thought out feel to it and I loved how instead of little hints always being dropped, pieces of the mystery were always being revealed.

It reads like a mixture of General Fiction to Mystery to Dystopia and I liked that alot. My only problem is that it never gave me any intense feelings, not sadness nor happiness. Reading it was like hearing someone's life story and not having any feelings towards anything they're saying besides just genuine interest. And that was good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment