Read from June 10 to November 29, 2016

Sypnosis:Celie is a poor black woman whose letters tell the story of 20 years of her life, beginning at age 14 when she is being abused and raped by her father and attempting to protect her sister from the same fate, and continuing over the course of her marriage to Mister, a brutal man who terrorizes her. Celie eventually learns that her abusive husband has been keeping her sister’s letters from her and the rage she feels, combined with an example of love and independence provided by her close friend Shug, pushes her finally toward an awakening of her creative and loving self.
Pages:314
Rating:★★★☆☆½
Thoughts:Real rating ★★★☆☆½
I tried this on an audiobook but maybe I got the wrong one because it went to the tune of the movie and didn't go with the book *shrugs* so I wound up reading this as a ebook as I wanted a different experience than the movie. And different is what I got.
I began to try and read this every night as something I could read and get tired of and go to sleep but that's not how things wound up working out. I'd read this when I couldn't sleep but not because I was still trying to go, but instead because I'd realized I'd lost the fight. There was a section of the book (Nettie's letters) that made me sleepy and made me want to put the book down. I'm not a fan of alot of world building and hearing every single detail about Africa was not for me (which is the reason for only three and a half stars and not a complete four.)
I wish the movie had followed the book more closely and would pay to see a long ass movie with every single part shown especially Celie and Mr_'s relationship in the end of the novel.
I'm really glad for no one in the book becoming homophobic towards Celie's love for Shug.
No comments:
Post a Comment