Thursday, April 23, 2015

Review: Party Games by R. L. Stine

Recommended for: Nostalgic readers and fans of R.L. Stine who won't mind that Fear St's gotten a bit less scary.
 Read from March 14 to April 23, 2015
 19286536
Sypnosis: Her friends warn her not to go to Brendan Fear's birthday party at his family's estate on mysterious Fear Island. But Rachel Martin has a crush on Brendan and is excited to be invited. Brendan has a lot of party games planned. But one game no one planned intrudes on his party—the game of murder. As the guests start dying one by one, Rachel realizes to her horror that she and the other teenagers are trapped on the tiny island with someone who may want to kill them all. How to escape this deadly game? Rachel doesn't know whom she can trust. She should have realized that nothing is as it seems… on Fear Island.

R.L. Stine makes his triumphant return to Shadyside, a town of nightmares, shadows, and genuine terror, and to the bestselling series that began his career writing horror for the juvenile market, in the new Fear Street book Party Games.


Pages: 277
Rating: ★★☆☆☆

CAUTION!!! SPOILERS

Let's just say I'd be the Amy of the book.

I was yelling at the book and making notes the entire time of reading. Angry angry notes:

☚Her parents didn't give her any pre-warnings about going to a party. On an island. No "Be home by___" nothing.
☚Then there's Eric, who almost gets to become an ok character, no longer his biggest trait only being that he seems to help influence Rape Culture, "No. I'll take that as a yes." And his constant grabbing and touching made me very uncomfortable but the books seems to be teaching today's teens that there are just guys like that and they're meant to seem gross but cuddly and cute. Keep those friends around!

"I knew Brendan said we should stick together. But my throat was throbbing. I really needed water."

"I'm not crazy!" I screamed. And then I turned and bolted toward the door."


☚The way Rachel trusted Branden over Mac made me very pissed. Looking back, it's a little understandable that a teen continously gives this new guy/crush chance after chance and her ex boyfriend no more. But your new crush just pretended people died. Some of your friends. He has you terrified. Yet you are still refusing to trust Mac when things really start going wrong.(with good reason as it turns out.)
☚When Victoria Fear stuffed herself I almost cried laughing.
☚I would've said f*ck Brendan a long time ago and been ready to just swim/leave the house/something.
☚When there were two killers loose in the house and Brandon felt like serving hot chocolate was when I officially decided if I wasn't so far into the novel it would've been a DNF. Too bad I chose this for a March/April challenge.


☚And you DID NOT need that d*mn "Tangerine" jacket.

It was f*cking ORANGE.

No comments:

Post a Comment