Tigers, Not Daughters by Samantha MabryMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Thank you to Netgalley, Edelweiss, the publisher and the author for being able to review this book in exchange for an honest review.
★★★★☆½ rounded up
My first thought while starting this book was that it was so reminiscent of The Virgin Suicides that it got annoying fast. The boys across the street and their obsession with the sisters, the strict abusive household, the death of the sister, etc. The similarities were just never ending.
Then the Magic Realism came in and omg this novel! Stunning writing!
All the descriptions of everything made me feel as if I were right there experiencing everything the sisters were experiencing.!
This novel has impacted me, at such an important time in my life, where standing up to people is so important, I can see myself getting the words "Tiger, Not Daughter" tatted. Like seriously. I struggled with standing up for myself in my early years as a kid and changed that as a teen and never went back. And I'm so proud of myself and happy that I did.
The girls father's abuse to his daughter Iridian and how all the girls learn how to fight back against a lot of people is my favorite thing about this book.
I really love this book. It didn't start off too strong for me but wow. From middle to end I didn't wanna put it down and I need to add this to my bookshelves and pass this book down to my future children. Which is always the highest compliment that I can give a book.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment