Beloved by Toni MorrisonMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
It took me about 9 months to finish this book. Off and on reading. For a long time I put this book down because the world in the present was bad enough that I couldn't take reading about it being bad in the past. Starting this book at the beginning of 2020 didn't matter at first. Reading it through the Coronavirus Pandemic was one thing but reading it through another Civil Rights movement just wasn't for me. Finally this month, in September, I decided I could stomach the material.
It was amazing. Toni Morrison's writing is absolutely amazing. I can't wait to read more of her novels. The quotes from the characters in this book about black and white life in this country, in this world, is always needed. Though this story is loosely based on a true story, everything about it feels so real, is so real, to what Black people are still facing to this very day. Different forms of slavery, still horrible racism and murder at the hands of racist.
To really get the gist of this novel and to be sure I had real understanding I read it along with the Sparknotes chapter by chapter. It helped me to be sure I was understanding what was being said and what Toni perhaps meant especially when speaking from Beloved's pov.
I see this as a must-read. Especially since people still get married on plantations today.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment