The Hate U Give by Angie ThomasMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
"The Hate U Give Little Infants Fucks Everybody. What society gives us as youth, it bites them in the ass when we wild out."
This book made me laugh, made me cry, made me angry, gave me the same feeling when yet another incident of police brutality happens and/or their is another poc death because of an officer, and I'm scared for my father, brothers, and fiance to leave the house.
"You do whatever they tell you to do. Keep your hands visible. Don't make any sudden moves. Only speak when they speak to you."
My parent's raised me with respectability politics and I knew even at a young age that it was bs but I abided by it. To see people getting murdered now even while being respectful, even while committing no crime, it hurts and makes me angry and frustrated to no end.
"Get a good look at the cops face. If you can remember his badge number that's even better."
Just like how this rule didn't help Khalil, it doesn't help countless people. This book was so powerful with giving me the exact same feeling of hopelessness that I've gotten when Trayvon Martin was murdered. When Sandra Bland died. When Michael Brown was murdered.
But at the same time this book did what following Shaun King on social media does for me. What following and watching Jesse William's speeches and interviews does for me. Gave me a message of hope in the end.
"I don't have to wait around for her to change. I can let go."
It touched home on so many areas for me personally. Having Feminist white friends who care more about feminism than black people's lives. Having Vegan and Vegetarian friends who care more about animal cruelty than police brutality. White Christian/Religious friends thinking that all black people need saving. My Facebook timeline at one point was full of it. And you don't know these people have these forms of racism and prejudice in them until shit like this begins to happen. Or you have a feeling but don't pay attention.
"I'll never forget. I'll never give up. I'll never be quiet. I promise."
"Brave doesn't mean you're not scared. It means you go on even though you're scared"
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment